These interviews are part of a series that highlights new hires within the industry. Have you recently started a new role or do you know someone who has? Submit your ideas to email@example.com.
Julia Hamilton was recently hired as event manager at Conference Chicago.
1. What are you most looking forward to as the new event manager for Conference Chicago? As the event Mmanager with Conference Chicago at the University Center, I am most looking forward to taking on a management position at the age of 22. Having completed the Guest Service Intern Program during the summer of 2015, I was given the opportunity to work at the University Center before I graduated from college. Being given the opportunity to transition from intern to manager in the same business is truly an amazing opportunity.
2. How has your past industry experience prepared you for this role? I have worked as a part-time seasonal reservations agent for Hershey Entertainment Complex and Resort, which allowed me to develop my professional personality with guests because I was communicating with them only via telephone. Because they couldn’t see my face or read my body language, I was challenged to develop a kind and helpful personality in only my voice. This has benefited me as the event manager as well. I am able to transfer that personality into my emails and also when I speak to customers/guests face to face. It has allowed me to become more comfortable speaking to people because my words and tone are my selling point.
3. How did you get into this industry? I started working in the hospitality industry back in 2008 when I worked as a seasonal food and beverage employee at Nathan’s Famous Hotdog Stand in Hershey Park. This is where my love for helping to make a customer’s day better started. I absolutely loved when I could turn a customer’s day from a bad one to a good one when I interacted with them.
4. What are you hoping to achieve in your new role? As the event manager, I am looking to further develop my leadership skills. I am already a driven and confident worker. So in a sense, leadership comes naturally to me. But, I want to become the manager/worker that everyone knows they can go to. Have a question? I have the answer for you!
5. What do you enjoy the most about Conference Chicago at the University Center? I enjoy that Conference Chicago at the University Center allows me to work with such a wide variety of people. One day I am making a rooming list for a group of ballerinas, the next I am working with a client that is bringing in students from Mexico. It allows me to learn to work with different backgrounds and understand the different types of customer service people need.