These interviews are part of a series that highlights new hires within the industry. Have you recently started a new role or do you know someone who has? Submit your ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Michelle Revuelta was recently hired as the vice president of media relations for Choose Chicago.
1. What are you looking forward to in your new role with Choose Chicago? I’m looking forward to working with an amazingly passionate community and the tremendous potential to raise Chicago’s profile as a top international travel destination and media opportunities that have yet to be seized for this world-class city.
2. How do you think your past industry experience has prepared you for this role? I’ve spent two decades immersed in destination marketing, helping shape the emerging brands and images globally of leading destinations. My experience, along with a solid understanding of the industry and well-established media relationships, will help increase visibility for Chicago and its partner base and grow our international visitation.
3. What goals do you have in mind for the destination for this year and further down the line? I’ll be putting together a very robust and aggressive media relations program that will increase Chicago’s exposure to media outlets worldwide to support our overall goal of elevating Chicago to among the five leading U.S. destinations visited by international travelers.
4. How did you get into the industry? I absolutely enjoyed studying public relations in college and took advantage of securing numerous internships both in public relations as well as at television and radio outlets while I was in school. After graduating, I landed in media relations with the tourism industry by chance, fell in love with the work I was doing and who I was doing it for, and embraced every opportunity I was given; I haven’t looked back since. I started out in 1997 at the Greater Miami Convention & Visitors Bureau in media relations and then moved on in 2007 with the media relations team at Tourism Toronto where I was until last month.
5. What do you enjoy most about the industry? I enjoy the people and places I’m promoting. I enjoy the storytelling and the connections I make while doing it. I enjoy being so passionate about a profession I couldn’t be more proud of having. I enjoy serving my clients and community and together being successful.