The arrival of cold weather and short days is a bit of a bummer. Noah O’Neill, bartender at Tannin in Okemos, created the Fall Back to perk up patrons’ spirits.
—2.5 oz. Wathen’s single-barrel bourbon
—1 oz. Luxardo apricot liqueur
—1 oz. Stirrings ginger
—0.5 oz . Red Viper syrup (see below)
—Peach garnish (see below)
Red Viper Syrup Ingredients:
—1 ghost pepper
—1 chipotle pepper
—Fresh ginger to taste
—Jamaican allspice to taste
—1 cup sugar
—5 cups water
Peach Garnish Ingredients:
—Bourbon Barrel Foods bourbon-smoked sugar
Red Viper Syrup Directions:
1. Boil the concoction until liquid is reduced by half (about 10 minutes).
1. Pour ingredients in a cocktail shaker over ice and shake.
2. Serve in a rocks glass with peach garnish floating on top, sugar side up (see below). (Makes enough for about 100 drinks.)
Peach Garnish Directions:
1. Slice peaches.
2. Lightly drizzle with cordial and dust with the sugar.
3. Use a kitchen blow-torch to caramelize the sugar.
4. Place on top
Get Connected: TANNIN // 517.575.6840